Sunday, August 4, 2013

Apology from Cincinnati

The Cincinnati police chief has issued an apology.
Here's the back story. 

I appreciate the gesture. I accept the apology and my anger has diminished.

However, along with an apology to the ostomy community, how about we all also use this as a chance to educate the public.

Those of us with ostomies already know it is okay. We already know we're not gross. We already know we can, and do, live normal lives. We already know that this isn't preventing normal relationships.

We're not the only ones who should be apologized to. The general public deserves an apology for being exposed to ignorance and falsehoods.



Cincinanti police department cpd ostomy offense stephanie hughes stolen colon colostomy crohns ostomy colitis blog
To the Ostomy Community:
 Like many American cities, Cincinnati has seen an increase in the number of juveniles involved in violent crime.  Many of these juveniles become victims and suffer traumatic injuries as a result.  In developing a strategy we contacted a local hospital trauma center which has a presentation that illustrates some life changing consequences of gun violence.  Unfortunately, one of the examples used was of a gunshot victim who was now required to utilize a colostomy bag; and the news chose to highlight a poorly chosen comment by a Police Lieutenant when airing the story.  To use the example of an ostomy bag in this way was a mistake.  Although there was no ill will intended, the results were hurtful to some in the ostomy community and this will not be repeated.
 I realize the way the news story was presented has offended many in the ostomy community, and for this I am truly sorry.  As a result of the numerous contacts I received, I have taken steps to ensure this does not happen again.  I have spoken to the Lieutenant involved in the story and his commander.  Both are extremely troubled that such a well-meaning attempt to reduce the number of juveniles involved in gun violence offended so many.  I addressed this with my command staff and Public Information Office to ensure we are all educated on the issue and to prevent any future occurrences.  I also contacted Mr. Jeff Brogan, General Manager of WCPO regarding this issue. 
 I have attempted to individually answer emails, but I wanted to send a clearer message to everyone in the ostomy community.  I am very sorry this happened and will work to ensure it does not happen in the future.  I assure you this was a mistake on the part of well-meaning individuals and not a deliberate attempt to offend anyone. 
 I hope you will accept this apology on behalf of the Cincinnati Police Department.
 Sincerely,
Paul H. Humphries
Interim Police Chief
Cincinnati Police Department

No comments:

Post a Comment