Monday, July 22, 2013

The Stoma Story - Part 2

I vividly remember sitting in the GI's office and looking at brochures that he had displayed on the wall. I had noticed the one titled Crohn's Disease and thought "I don't even know what that is." I had no idea it was a digestive issue. I had heard it mentioned on tv commercials for different medications but that was it.
The doctor came in and gave me an exam and then sat down to talk about my medical history. He was especially interested in the part where I wrote about my grandfathers colon cancer and my moms history of polyps. He recommended I get a colonoscopy. A colonoscopy is when a doctor puts a camera up your butt to take a look at your colon. I'll talk about how much fun colonoscopies are another day. Skip to- my doctor found ulcers on my colon. If you're lucky, maybe I'll dig up the photos!
I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.
I was put on a medication that I would have to take three times a day.
Over the next year, I was in and out of the ER with flare ups. They would give me pain meds and steroids and send me home.
Then, in August 2012, everything changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment