Thursday, November 21, 2013

He Can Fly!

Hey all! Wow, have Mancub and I been busy! We took a weekend trip to the Happiest Place on Earth! So I felt like this was a good time to chat about flying with an ostomy!

When we were in Florida at the UOAA National Conference, my sister and I attended a session led by a TSA representative. She talked to us about our rights as travelers and what to expect through security. I have to say, she eased my mind. Basically, you just have to be forthcoming about having an ostomy, especially if you have to go through the Body Scanner, because it will detect it and you will have to have a pat down. Some travelers also reported having to pat where their ostomy is located and then have their hands swabbed.
Well... I was SO READY to face the TSA with confidence.
However, since I had Mancub with me we were allowed to bypass the scanner and walk through the metal detector. Rats!
With security safely behind me, my traveling was smooth sailing. As long as I emptied my bag before boarding and after landing I was fine. It was no different than my flying experiences before surgery.
**Actually, as many of you know, I am a bigger girl. That, plus my stoma being seatbelt level, I did ask for a belt extension for comfort sake. The attendants were very nice and discreet about this request. :-)

If you have an ostomy, and have experience flying, leave me a comment about your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment