Friday, May 30, 2014

How You Can Help <3

A while back, I posted about my beautiful sister who was going to run in Hawaii with Team Challenge. Well, due to minor a physical setback, she has decided to run in Napa instead. 
She is still taking donations. 

This is copied from her website.

"Up until a few years ago I had no idea what Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis were. In 2011, that all changed.

After months of stomach cramps, diarrhea and other digestive problems, my sister Elizabeth, was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. She spent many days in the hospital ER trying to figure out what was causing these symptoms. After a few months of trying different treatments and no results, she was hospitalized in August of 2012.

At that point she was so malnourished and in so much pain the doctor wanted to try steroids and pain medicines delivered by a Picc line for a week to see if that would be any help. The x-ray to check on the picc line placement saved my sister's life. It showed that her colon had already perforated in multiple places. An emergency surgery was done to remove her entire colon. She now has an end ileostomy. This ileostomy has saved my sister's life. I can't imagine a life without my sister, she is one of my best friends. I can't imagine her son growing up not knowing his mom. I hate this disease. The doctors are still not sure if her original diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis is still accurate or if she has Crohn's Disease. They are leaning towards Crohn's Disease, which can spread through her entire digestive system, making a reattachment surgery an unlikely choice for her.

You can read all about her journey through this at her blog: mamasgotastoma.blogspot.com

In the spring of 2012, IBD doubled down on my family. My Uncle Dave, was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and ended up with an emergency Colostomy also.

I have been a runner for almost 10 years and the Napa Half Marathon is the most important race for me yet. It is my way to support my sister, uncle, and the IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) community.

Please help support my fundraising efforts:

$10: I will send you a Blue rubber bracelet that shows your support of the Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis foundation of America.

$50: I will write your name on the back of my jersey to share your support with everyone. 

$100: you can sponsor a mile of my race.

$200: I will make a "flat Stanley" character of you and take pictures along the course and send them to you after the race."

I know these diseases have affected many of my friends, new and old.
I am so proud of my sister.

You can make a donation at http://www.active.com/donate/napaga14/jessawotona

Thank you, friends!


Jessica, her daughter, and my Mancub

2 comments:

  1. Kids are looking very adorable. Thanks for posting their pictures. It is very true that ileostomy has saved thousands of lives. But some people still need some awareness about this surgery. It is safe and life saving.

    Regards,
    Ransi
    Ostomy Belts

    ReplyDelete