Saturday, October 5, 2013

Be Aware!

Today is Ostomy Awareness Day 2013!!!
Yes, everyday here at MGAS is ostomy awareness day, but today we are challenged to make it nation wide.
I was talking to my sister yesterday about why some in the ostomy community don't watch Grey's Anatomy.
 There was an episode back in 2009 when a young woman was brought into the hospital after being "chopped" by a boat propeller. At one point she is facing another surgery and asks Dr. Yang what the worst outcome would be. Dr. Yang replies that the worst thing would be ending up with a colostomy. The girl reacts like it is a fate worse than death. Later in the episode, Dr. Yang is chastised by Dr. Bailey for threatening the patient with a colostomy bag and Dr. Yang asks her how is she expect to sugar coat a colostomy.
Okay, my recap doesn't do it justice but I'm sure you get the gist.
When I was talking to my sister about this yesterday we discussed how, yeah, that's the reaction we would expect.  Then *epiphone* THATS WHY SPREADING AWARENESS IS SO IMPORTANT.

I know that having an ostomy is not a fate worse than death. My family knows it. My close friends know it. My blog readers know it. But if you don't have one, or know someone who does, how would you know? 

Friends, let's change this stigma. More than half a million Americans are living with an ostomy. Let's do them a favor and raise awareness that it is not a fate worse than death. It is a fate of life, love, family, beauty, health...and so many other things.

Do me a favor and share my blog, follow UOAA's Facebook page, talk to your friends if they don't know what an ostomy is, or spread awareness in your own way.

Leave me a comment on what ostomy awareness means to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment